Will GPUs ever be affordable again?

• Community Tech

It feels like with each passing generation of GPU they're getting further and further out of reach for the average consumer.  You can go a generation, two generations, three generations old and so on, and still get a great graphics card for a more affordable price, but you can't get a brand new one for anything even close to decent.  Do you see that changing anytime soon?  Will we soon be paying car prices for computer components?

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2023 at 9:24 PM, Crystal said:

It feels like with each passing generation of GPU they're getting further and further out of reach for the average consumer.  You can go a generation, two generations, three generations old and so on, and still get a great graphics card for a more affordable price, but you can't get a brand new one for anything even close to decent.  Do you see that changing anytime soon?  Will we soon be paying car prices for computer components?

When i just got into PC building (back in 2000-2005) components were around the same prize as now. I remember getting my GeForce 8000 for around 400$. What's the good thing about it? for most of current tasks.. you don't need the latest gpu around.

• I Agree 1

• Community Tech

That's very true, you don't need the bleeding edge GPUs to make a good computer.  When I was building my current rig, a couple of years ago, the latest and greatest was an RTX 2070, I managed to grab a GTX 1660 for so much cheaper!

spacer.png